- Smoking or drinking coffee is prohibited 30 minutes before the measurement
- Take a rest for 5 minutes before the measurement
- Remove thick coats or jackets before the measurement
- Do not roll up your sleeves
Blood pressure can fluctuate about 30mmHg throughout the day. Compare your blood pressure with measurements taken around the same time on other days. The reference Blood Pressure values for comparison must be taken from the same side of the arms because generally, the Blood Pressure of the left and right arms are different.
Your blood pressure reading may be higher if
- you are taking your first measurement
- your sitting position is high
- you are wearing thick clothing
- your clothes are grouped or rolled up
- you are anxious or not relaxed
When measuring your blood pressure, the measuring upper arm should be at the heart level for an accurate measurement. Your blood pressure reading may be higher if your sitting position is too high. It is important to have a height-adjustable chair so that the measurer can adjust the chair level accordingly.
The measuring arm should be inserted into the device with your elbow placed on the elbow point. Also, the height of the chair should be adjusted so that the measuring upper arm is at the heart level.